
So - yesterday I tackled the medical bills. This is something I do about once every three months. Being an accountant (in my former life) it feels counterintuitive to leave a bill sitting for three months. However, I have learned that if I were to go through these bills once a month I would waste a heck of a lot of time looking at incorrect bills. If I give them a few months to send the bills out they are more likely to be correct after a few months.
So my stack of bills (picture is coming if stupid blogger will only let me add one) yielded five checks, and five phone calls. Yup - 3 of the bills were just plain wrong. Actually a fourth was wrong too - but I paid them the right amount and sent them a spreadsheet showing them the correct figures.
If I didn't have a CPA I would be paying a lot of money I didn't owe. I really feel for people who do not have the training to decipher a medical bill. So many people are being screwed.
5 comments:
I stopped by via "Next Blog." Interesting joint. My First Wife and I have excellent friends in Colorado Springs. They go to that big church and he's a forest ranger. She's a SAHM with about 5 or 6 kids.
Anyway, you have a nice joint and seem like a strong person. Maybe you could start on-line classes on how to decipher medical bills. I'd sign up.
Have a nice day.
Yeah what he said.
We don't have nearly the med bills that you guys have but with 4 kids we get a few now and then. Sometimes I wonder what I'm paying and why, but since it's not some hugely outrageous amount I just do.
(((HUGS))) from me. :)
PS - I hope you don't mind me adding you to my blogroll. That way I can find you with out going thru Kate when I make the rounds to her place.
I hope you were feeling better before taking this on.
after going through chemo and radiation, the medical profession or the technology that helps billing is just plain wrong. I can't tell you how many EOBs that I have and I went through every. single. one - and more often than not, there were HUGE mistakes that could have cost us over 10k had I not contested them.
good for you for going through this - and yes, you do need a college degree (almost a masters) to get through an EOB.
(btw, I came to your site through the goodgeeks :))
I know this is an old post, but I can truely identify with the Medical Bill problems. Sometimes I think the hospitals are taking advantage of people with their billing systems. There are some people who just don't understand the bills and EOBs.
Post a Comment