Monday, March 13, 2006

Awesome weekend

The blog has been quiet as we have all been in Chicago all weekend. Well - I did manage to slip in the Steak n Shake post. I LOVE Steak n Shake and they do not have any in Colorado. We got in Thursday night and by 10:30 Friday morning I had to have it. So off Luke and I went to grab some and I scarfed it down in the car and the kids were none the wiser. We also had it again late Friday night. Yummmm.

Anyway - we were in Chicago to see Matt (my cousin, Luke's friend...well not just my cousin because he and Beth are my friends too) get his head shaved for St. Baldrick's. Luke and Matt went into the city around noon and Beth and I brought all the kids in around 2:00.

The event was in an irish pub and it was loud and crowded but fun. Nathan had the honors of shaving Matt's head. We weren't sure he would even consider doing it but he thoroughly enjoyed himself. Afterwards we hung around for awhile and the kids had sodas and food. Nathan was all smiles. He truly enjoyed the bar scene. I even nursed Lauren while we were there...that was a first for me.


Beth and I packed all the kids in the van and headed out. We had an "only a mom would do this" moment when one of the children had to pee while we were stuck in traffic. There was an aborted attept to use a water bottle and a successful pee into a mug while driving along.

The kids had lots of fun playing and adults enjoyed conversing and catching up. Saturday night my brother, Aaron, Luke's sister, Anna, her boyfriend, Nick, and friends (who will remain nameless and that is a story I won't get into) joined us for pizza. It was great seeing everyone.

We returned late night to bad weather here in Colorado but eventually made it home from Denver.

I was wary about how hectic this trip would be but it far exceeded my expectations and was worth every difficult moment (of which there were few).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are so glad that you all made it out. It was great to meet Lauren, and fun to see Nathan and Julia again. We really lucked out on the weather - as muddy as they got, it was the perfect day to be outside. Today is a very blustery March-Chicago day with garbage cans, branches, and other debris flying through the air. Not good for being out playing.

I think after the "only a mom would do this" moment, I will now keep a large mouth vessel in my car for that very purpose - preferably one that caps!

Thanks again for coming. We had a super time.

shadowfax said...

Oh, that's a great point. We should do that too. Fortunately, I can get vessels made for that purpose at the ER -- and they cap! Aslo, we have only boys, which does make it easier.

I suspect you can pick up a bedside urinal at your local medical supply store.

shadowfax said...

Oh, never mind. Use this instead. Much Better.

Unknown said...

You can pull over on the side of a mountain in the snow, pull your daughter's pants down, and hold her such that she doesn't pee on herself or your shoes. Hypothetically of course.