Thursday, July 31, 2008

Singing

I have been away from choir for three weeks and it is just too long! It was so nice to be singing again tonight.

My iPod decided to play Eva Cassidy's version of "How Can I Keep from Singing?" for me on the way home.


How can I keep from singing?


My life goes on in endless song
above earth's lamentations,
I hear the real, though far-off hymn
that hails a new creation.

Through all the tumult and the strife
I hear it's music ringing,
It sounds an echo in my soul.
How can I keep from singing?

While though the tempest loudly roars,
I hear the truth, it liveth.
And though the darkness 'round me close,
songs in the night it giveth.

No storm can shake my inmost calm,
while to that rock I'm clinging.
Since love is lord of heaven and earth
how can I keep from singing?

When tyrants tremble sick with fear
and hear their death knell ringing,
when friends rejoice both far and near
how can I keep from singing?

No storm can shake my inmost calm,
while to that rock I'm clinging.
Since love is lord of heaven and earth
how can I keep from singing?

My life goes on in endless song
above earth's lamentations,
I hear the real, though far-off hymn
How can I keep from singing?

How can I keep from singing?

Here it is on YouTube - I have no idea what the images are the person put on with the song.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was not familiar with that artist until now--what a voice! i love how the clarity of her voice really compliments the style and message of the song. thanks for posting this! is this the version of the song you like best? if there is another version you like as well, please clue me into it as well!

lisa

Anna said...

I love Eva Cassidy.

Gberger said...

THANK YOU for posting this. I love her voice so much, and had never heard this song. Now I understand your blog's name. It is exactly how I feel on some days, too...GOd bless you.