Wednesday, January 27, 2010

the club

I went for a mammogram today.  It was a baseline screening type due to some family history.  I'm getting close to 40 anyway.  No cause for concern.

Anyway I mention this because the tech started telling me about the procedure and made a comment that I didn't seem concerned and seemed pretty relaxed.  I told her I had a child with cancer and this seemed like pretty simple stuff compared to other medical tests.  She picked up on the "had" part and we had a discussion about child loss.  She lost her 17 year old in a plane crash 11 years ago.  It was a brief but meaningful conversation where she acknowledged some of the truths of losing a child and some perspective of being 11 years out and what things are easier and what things are not.  She made a comment about how sometimes chance meeting are not chance and I feel she was right.  I really needed to have a encounter with someone who knows - as you can tell from my angsty post from yesterday.

3 comments:

Blessed said...

so glad you had this encounter. NOT a coincidence.

*hug*

Anonymous said...

While looking for a video for my history class on Youtube I came across Nathan's story. I usually do not post comments to strangers, but I was so moved by the video that I felt compelled to do so.

I almost lost my son to a severe head injury in October and we spent many weeks in a children's hospital while he underwent brain surgery, and every day I watched children with cancer play in the patient playroom; I watched their teary-eyed parents trying to remain strong for their children. Watching Nathan's video allowed me to put a name and a story to all of the anonymous children we encountered (and even trick-or-treated with)--I still see their faces today. Your cafeteria comment--we ate three meals a day there and even became well-versed in which special was worth the money and which chef gave larger portions.
Nathan is a beautiful young man who enjoyed a beautiful family and life during his 7 short years--you said he was an old soul and he and his story have changed lives--perhaps saved some as well. (When my students saw my red, teary eyes, they asked what was wrong and I told them about Nathan--perhaps they will someday be in a position to support research, find a cure, or more quickly gain a cancer diagnosis in their child because of their exposure to his legacy and memory.)

Though I have not lost a child and certainly cannot imagine the pain you've felt, I can suggest that you deserve to have bad and good days. God gave us a maternal instinct so that we would go to the ends of the Earth for our children and that's what you did. I can also suggest that I know he is there with you and someday you will be with your little guy again.
Thinking of you.
Kelly, Naples FL

Pam said...

I'm so glad you got to meet her. No I don't think it was coincidence either. : )