Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Gravity

How does one explain the concept of gravity to a child?

Nathan got platelets on Sunday. Here in NY they do not use IV pumps for platelets since they do not want to lose any of them. They actually used that IV rack hanging on a track on the ceiling. I have never seen one of those used in all these years.

Nathan wanted to know how the IV could work without a pump so it was time for a lesson on gravity.

I'm starting to get sick of all thing medical (no pun intended). I guess living at the Ronald McDonald House doesn't let me get away from it like I do at home when I can fell that I have a normal life from time to time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about, "It's the same thing that makes you fall down the steps." ;-)

~A~ said...

Crap, stupid blogger lost my comment.

If I get another 5 minutes I'll be back.

xoxo

JimII said...

I like gravity because the truth is you don't know the answer either.

Stuff that fills up space, stuff that is stuff, naturally moves towards other stuff that is stuff. We don't know why.

We know that stuff with more stuff pulls other stuff harder. We know that the closer to blobs of stuff are, the hard they will pull on each other. In fact, we can write down exactly how hard something will pull on stuff based on how far away the other stuff is and how much stuff there is. But why stuff moves towards other stuff? We don't know.

Some people think there are little particles that do it, kind of like light. Some people think stuff changes the shape of the space the stuff is on. But platelets are stuff that is trying to get with the other stuff (the Earth). We don't know why they want to be together. They just do.