I mentioned a few years ago that Luke's mom was going to make a quilt for us out of some of Nathan's clothes. I just searched the blog for a previous mention and found this post. I was surprised to learn (I won't say remember) that it was a full year until we did all of that cleaning out of the room. It is a bit of a painful post to read.
It took another year to actually bring the clothes to Illinois and go through them and make decisions about them. I think it took many months after that for Kathy to get to the point where she could face making it. It was also technically difficult for her because she normally hand quilts and the materials in this quilt caused to her to need to machine quilt instead. She has made the kids and us many beautiful quilts over the years, all hand stitched. I will have to post those sometime!
All that to say that this summer, Kathy finished the quilt and gave it to us.
I borrowed a picture from her to post here. The quilt is currently folded on top of the cedar chest in our living room where we store Nathan's things. I am not sure of its ultimate home.
Thank you again, Kathy - it is better than I could have imagined.

9 comments:
Wow, it looks really cool. It must be so full of memories for you.
I love it.
Oh, that is just so special. Kathy, thank you. You did a lovely job. The absolute best part is the dress shirt and tie--what a brilliant touch. Some of those shirts--but that one combination especially--so quickly bring back a flash of Nathan. I can *see* him in the quilt. Susan, what a beautiful little bit of your boy to keep.
There are several pieces there that I can see Nathan in specifically. What a beautiful thoughtful way to save these things!
It's absolutely perfect!! I can see him in every inch of it!
Your Nathan quilt is precious and beautiful. What a loving gift from his grandmother.
Rita
I remember a photo of him in the "Cat" shirt... Lovely, as always.
That is just really wonderful. It's permanent and special and unique. Just marvelous.
Your comment about the time passing reminded me about Jeff and I making the video of scattering Dad's ashes. The summer you guys were kind enough to let us crash in your basement was over a year after his death, and it took another year to put the video together. It didn't feel like we were consciously avoiding it, but I guess maybe we were.
Love,
JimII
Oh, it's so beautiful. We thought about doing that but I couldn't deal with cutting up his clothes.
Post a Comment