Thursday, April 10, 2008

Round Up

DEATH

1. It sucks when the dentist office asks, when making an appointment for one child, "Does Nathan go to a different office now". I imagine she felt like crap for a while after getting me answer because she knew but didn't put it together. I'm not looking forward to seeing the dentist this afternoon. The last time Julia was there was a few weeks before Nathan died and he got all teary and I just don't want to go through that today. I am hoping the condolences are quick and tear-free.

2. Two comments last night at church about our family of four and our beautiful family. I muttered at one point that one was missing but I don't think they heard me.

3. Another NB child I did not know died recently. They were brave enough to be taking pictures near the very end and it was quite disconcerting to see how this little boy looked - I remember it well and I wish I did not. My heart goes out to his family. I'm still plugged in to the NB community and there is bad news left and right. Children we know relapsing, dying, nearing the end of treatment options.


WEATHER

1. I love the weather in Colorado. LOVE IT!

2. The one exception in the month of April. Most everywhere else it is spring. Not in Colorado. Today it is 29 degrees with 30 MPH winds (gusts of 60 MPH!) and blowing snow. Blah!

WEEKEND AWAY

1. I attempted to go away last weekend. I signed up for a retreat at church for moms with young children. I didn't know anyone but was assured it wasn't all MOPS moms. (MOPS is a program churches run for mothers of preschoolers - my church has one but I don't do it). Well - I went on Friday evening and only about 4 of 55 women were not from MOPS. They all thought it was a MOPS retreat and wondered where I had hear about it (church bulletin and info racks). So everyone knew each other. Everyone was very nice but when the free time started Friday night I went into the room and people were in tight circles talking and I didn't know just one person so I could go up to them and insert myself into the conversation. I wandered around for a little while and then decided I would be much happier at home with my family and so I left. We ended up going to Denver on Saturday to Casa Bonita for lunch. I had never been there and Luke had been there as a six year old. Julia had been talking about Rainforest Cafe recently and so we had looked that up to see if there was one in Denver but there is not. This wasn't the same - nor did we expect it to be, but it was fun. Then Luke and I dragged the girls shopping at Park Meadows Mall. They weren't thrilled but enjoyed themselves well enough.

2. I am glad I left the retreat but feel a little bit like that weird kid at a slumber party who has to go home in the middle of the night.

3. My friends Tonya and Jo invited me to go with them to Frisco (Colorado - near Breckenridge) for the weekend to stay in someone's empty condo. We will eat, relax, read, whatever! I have no doubt I will have a good time this weekend. Luke is off to a RCPM concert Friday night in Denver so my girls get to have a sleepover at my friend, Linda's house.

I think that just about rounds up all the major stuff around here.....

6 comments:

Jaime said...

I hope you have a fun and relaxing time.

Gberger said...

I know what you mean, about feeling "other" in a group (we had MOPS at my church, and I never went, either). What a bummer that you made the effort to attend the retreat, and no one had the grace to reach out to you. Hm. Might be good to let the women's retreat planners know about that...neuropathy in the body of Christ? Anyway, I hope SF is a complete blast for you and your friends this weekend. You deserve it, and it has so much to offer.
PS: I live in WA, and it's been in the 30s here, too.
Blessings to you.

OMH said...

I hate it when you feel lonely in a crowd. I would like to say I am the type that looks around and notices the one that is left out - but when I am with my GIRLS I do not notice it.....but thanks for the reminder that I need to reach out.

Hope this weekend is GREAT for you.

BillyBob said...

I'm so sorry about all that. It takes my breath away to see all the peds blogs on the link on my blogroll"transplant headquarters." So many families struggling through. There is a lady's blog on my blogroll 3 links above your link called "is this reality" . She is really struggling because her wee one sweet Emma has special needs. She is also a liver transplant survivor. I dont know if any of these pediatric transplant survivors ever live to adulthood and if they do, how long a life can they expect. I learned that from Moreena, at the top of my blogroll" falling down is also a gift." But I read Angie's last post and it really made me think of you. How you would be so glad to still have your sweet Nathan no matter what his short comings. My heart goes out to Angie, because she is struggling with another baby very soon to be born, but my heart goes out to you, because how can your heart ever mend?

Myndi said...

Sorry I didn't comment before, all I can say is (((HUGS))) to all of that. I cannot imagine going through just the day-to-day stuff like that. - BUT how was your weekend? I hope you had a great, relaxing time!

Jenny said...

I worked at Casa Bonita for a year and a half. I got to visit the Rainforest Cafe (I believe it's the similar themed restaurant in Utah) and the Cafe is much better all the way around. The food, entertainment, etc. Too bad it's so far away!