Friday, May 25, 2007

no big deal...

So yesterday I spent from 4:30 to 6:30 at a birthday party with Julia that had large inflatable jumping things. She jumped - I chatted with my friends. All very suburban mom-ish.

I got home - took Nathan's temperature. It was way too hot. Talked to the doctor, packed a bag, strapped kid in car and went to the hospital for the night.

Did the hospital cancer mom thing all night. Same old, same old.

Now - I am back home. The baby is napping and the big kids are playing outside while I drink coffee and blog. Back to being a suburban mom again.

When I got home - Luke remarked at how unremarkable a night in the hospital is. It feels the same as any other routine activity in our household.

It makes me wonder how I will fit back into life when I am done being a cancer mom

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think you can fit back in to life. Life will probably just readjust to fit you.

xoxo

Anonymous said...

you don't really (in my experience anyway), but it does get less acutely painful with time. and there will always be people who went through similar things and who will understand, and people who didn't go through similar things but who are ready to try and understand.
it's like when i read your "did the hospital cancer mom thing" - i know what you mean. it's been 3 years for us almost, but that phrase made it seem like - not even - yesterday.

elena

Kate said...

I don't really know what to say other than I am thinking of you.

(((HUG)))