Monday, April 03, 2006

Three too many

I subscribe to a listserv for neuroblastoma. This listserv has literally been a lifesaver for us. Without it I would not have known about the uniquely talented surgeon who has removed tumors from Nathan that other doctors could not. I would also not have known aout the antibody therapy that I also believe is one of the reasons Nathan is still here with us.

This listserv also serves as emotional support for the family members. In the last 24 hours, three children have died. One of these kids was a walking miracle. He was in treatment for 84 months before achieving remission. He had been cancer free for three years. Normally a child who does not reach remission in the first 7 months or so will die. Well - he died, not from cancer, but from a perferated bowel. Most likely his abdominal surgeries and cancer treatments were a contributing factor.

It is all just so sobering.

There is a member of the listserv whose 40 year old husband has been battling this children's cancer for 3 years. She writes in prose, mostly and never in caps. She wrote something today I would like to share:

i do not think I shall ever understand
how real life is opposite
to what seems right

strength comes out of weakness

love is forged in the fires of battle

patience comes through trials

wisdom comes through loss

grace comes through pain

kindness and compassion come through having been wounded

such things
all the money in the world cannot buy

and if

we are lucky enough to possess any of them

even for a moment

it shall come through real trial

and we cannot ever

close our hand over it and keep it as our own


it is given

to share and to be given away freely


because

crazily enough

the more you give away

the more you have


how strange life is

carrie

2 comments:

~A~ said...

So true so true. Thanks for sharing that poem.

xoxo to you and the fam.

Kate said...

What a beautiful woman. I hate that she has so much insight from her pain but am glad that she has found an outlet to let out some of her very intense feelings.