Friday, February 09, 2007

Night terrors

Some of you who know me well know that I have some form of night terrors/vivid dreams. Sometimes, they are relentless and other times I have weeks and weeks without them. I had been mostly without them for a while. The last night in Florida they came back and I can't shake them. Fortunately they are not the scary variety but they are the repeating kind. This means that I awake with the same "visions" and scenarios over and over again. this goes on for what seems like hours. Right now I am stuck with a dream that I am on a disney ride and my bed is the "car". Luke is asleep next to me and they are waiting for us to get out of the car and move along.

I probably woke Luke up several times last night. I just kept sitting upright and seeing everything in the room plus seeing the extra things in my dream.

That is the weirdest thing about my sleep issue. Whatever it is that I am dreaming I can still see in this state and I can also see my surroundings. I cannot be convinced that something is not there because I am hallucinating. Luke has learned the hard way not to debate me when I am in this state. He still does try to catch me when I leap over him running for shelter from the thing coming at me from the ceiling.

I guess I am lucky that I am not having the terrrifying version right now but I really would like to get off the ride tonight.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

"He still does try to catch me when I leap over him running for shelter from the thing coming at me from the ceiling."

I have those. Sometimes. And when they come they come in waves for a period of days. It always manifests in some sort of infestation of something coming from the ceiling or the floor. Not pleasant. Although I have to admit that I find it comforting to know that I am not the only one. Is that selfish?

Susan said...

Hey - I am also glad to hear I am not alone - so no - not selfish!

Vicky said...

Blerk.....! I have those too, though they have been much fewer in recent years. My worst one was when my eldest son was a newborn, and I woke knowing that something awful and life-threatening was happening. I leaped up and shook my husband to tell him to run with us, but he just told me to go back to sleep. I got up to save the baby, if not my husband, and he, realising that I was going to grab the baby and frighten him, grabbed my arms to stop me. NOTHING was going to stand in the way of saving my baby from this deadly peril, so I slugged my poor husband good and hard and snatched the baby up and ran with him. I had got to the front door before reality took over, and there the three of us stood, all of us panic-stricken and crying. Urgh... Makes me want to cry just thinking about it! So you have my deepest empathy over these horrible things. I know that mine come worse when I am overtired but beyond that I have never noticed a pattern or worked out any way to avoid them. My sympathies and hopes for some nights of quiet rest for you....

Unknown said...

Will, Does Carlee catch you as you jump over her in the middle of the night?