
I lived in the same house my whole childhood, until I went to college. My parents had the house built and moved in when my mom was pregnant with me. They sold the house and moved to South Carolina when I was in my early twenties. I loved that house and the neighborhood. If you stuck me in the house today blindfolded I could walk around the whole thing without missing a step. I often have dreams about the house. In some of the worst it has been torn down.
So - "my" house is for sale right now. It has a nice tour so I got to see many of the rooms. I was surprised that it actually brought tears to my eyes. In my alternate life I would buy it and move back to Illinois.
Of course, it wouldn't be the same. I am sure this is all about childhood nostalgia. I had a really good childhood and that house represents that time in my life of innocence and happiness that can never be recaptured. Oh - to be back living in that house with my parents taking care of me and to has my most serious problems be about school and boys and clothes.
4 comments:
That is a really nice house! Which bedroom was yours?
I used to dream in our Connecticut house... I still do! We haven't lived there in almost 15 years and that is the house that I think about when I think of my childhood.
I really liked this entry.
I admit it, I went and looked at the virtual tour as well. It's a nice house. I grew up in Greenville and Carlyle, until I was almost 12 and my parents moved to Florida. At the beginning of this year my husband took a job in Houston and we have hated every second of it. We just decided to go back home - I'm taking the kids back next month and he'll be coming back in June....there's no place like home :)
The bedroom with the dark green walls was mine. My brothers shared the larger one with tan walls. The third bedroom was an office - you can still see the shelves on one whole wall that my dad built in that room.
The exercise room in the garage was built as a workshop for my dad.
Oh, just seeing that picture brought back a flood of memories. One of my favorite girlfriend things to do is have a friend over to chat with while I am cleaning (or nowadays, cooking dinner). It so rarely happens, for many reasons, one of which is that it takes a special kind of person to find that fun as well! But I think it all started there in your bedroom, when we would hang out in the afternoons and sometimes I would lounge on your bed while you had to clean your room.
Or sitting in the little den upstairs--I believe that is where I first heard Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts CLub Band AND Def Leppard.
Toby watching out the den window and then bounding down the stairs to bark maniacally at things out front.
A-ha posters.
Chris O. shirtless.
The framed map of England on the wall going to the family room--it was fascinating to imagine you as a little girl wearing a uniform at school, kind of like "Madeline" meets "The Wall." ; )
And I remember having dinner with your family sometimes there in the dining room--everyone was so *quiet* during the meal, just eating, so unlike my house. I still have your mom's meatloaf recipe--yum! Once when we were all grown up your parents invited me to dinner without you, and your mom advised me on the wisdom of keeping my maiden name as my middle name when I got married--which I did--and after dinner she gave me some beautiful Victoria's Secret lingerie (extremely tasteful--the kind a woman buys for herself or for a good friend, not like a guy would buy!).
I hope you have a smile on now!
Lisa
Post a Comment