Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Physical therapy...almost done

First off - yeah it's July 29.  I hate this day.  I hate it enough not to give it any special treatment other than to say I hate it...so that's that.

I had my 3 month assessment at PT yesterday and I met all my goals.  Most of my walking test are in the normal range.  This means my speed is ok (still way too slow for me and for my normal) but much better.  I can step over things and turn around and walk backwards.  I can get from seated to standing in a normal amount of time.  I go tomorrow and we will talk about my home and gym program and then I will be done for now.  There are plenty of things I can't do well but I will need to redefine them and go back for specifics later if I can.

I still have a pretty noticeable limp - especially at the end of the day. My right hip really hurts quite a bit as of late and weight bearing doesn't help.  I had some x-rays done but haven't heard the results.  I did see the xray and then use doctor google at home and to my untrained eye didn't see structural problems anyway...there could kinds of muscular or other stuff I wouldn't have a clue about but the space between my ball and socket looked good.  I was concerned about this since I had underdeveloped hip sockets as a baby and had to wear a brace.

I talked to the therapist about my weakness/numbness.  The chiropractor thinks perhaps I should be more proactive about it.  She was very helpful and we put the electrodes on the muscle (hadn't done that in a month or more) and I let her turn it WAY up.  The result was absolutely nothing.  No hint of any sort of movement.  In her opinion/experience she thinks it is unlikely to come back at this point.  The chiropractor thinks I should see a physiatrist (rehab MD) and I may for a second opinion but I am also OK if this is the way things will be.

So - I will replace my twice weekly visits to PT with the gym.  I'll try to put in on my schedule the same way so I keep to it.  The gym is only a few minutes away instead of 25 so it will be much more convenient.

1 comment:

Jenna said...

I am thinking of you and your family today. I am glad to hear of some improvements with your walking and back etc and I hope they continue