I've seen more improvement in the last few days. I'm now walking around my house without my cane except for first thing and the morning and at night when I am tired. I tried driving on Saturday and was able to drive to the school which is only a few minutes away. I've given myself a 10 minute drive allowance. I can tell my leg will tire out easily. This is a big victory and will make my life easier. I have two short errands I am hoping to run today...scratch that..I should just do one because I want to pick Julia up at her bus stop (elementary school) today.
I'm going to physical therapy today. It's 25 minutes away and so I have a ride lined up. I'm going to go to work on Wednesday. I also have a ride for that as it is downtown. I usually work two days a week but will just do one this week. Next week is problematic because due to the holiday I would need to work two days in a row...which I am unsure about.
The terrible rushing things in my leg at night have slowed down quite a bit. I still get a few but they are not nearly as relentless.
One more highlight then I'll get to the challenges. My church had a special service yesterday for confirmations, baptisms and graduations of the youth. Julia was not part of those but all youth were invited to sing with the choir. I didn't want to miss this so Julia and I sung in one of the services. It was wonderful. My friend Bob took a picture and said some really kind words about the two of us singing being a highlight for him. Here it is. We are near the upper right center...me with the dark hair and Julia to my left.
On to the challenges.
My foot and leg and muscles haven't progressed. I know it could be a year or two with nerve damage. I don't know whether to expect slow progress or fits and spurts or all at once. I've not lost hope by any means. Luke has been doing some massage and is moving all my joints for me that I cannot move myself in hopes of keeping things as healthy as possible. When I'm in bed at night I really struggle as a move about. Luke was asking me why and I told him I thought it was trying to keep my back from twisting,which is true, but I realized last night in a "duh" moment that when I am lying on my left side I can barely move my right leg. Whatever muscles are responsible for that clearly are very weak. I try to put a pillow between my legs and I have to use my hand to pick up my leg. So when I want to roll over it is very difficult to do so. I will talk to my therapist about this. I'm sure it will be put on the list of less important things but it is a significant deficit. I'm hoping it's one of those things I just need to exercise. The feeling is my foot and calf is also the same. I'm still having Luke tape my toes. I've got one that won't stay up. Between not being allowed to bend and having only partial control of my foot it takes me a long time to put on socks and shoes. I have a special tool to put on my socks, which is really nifty. I also have a very long shoehorn. Mostly though, I struggle with making sure my toes are behaving when I am trying to get the foot in my shoe. I can't tell if they are straight or not and it just takes a long time to wiggle my foot into my shoe. All this isn't a complaint but it is an adjustment. I used to be pretty proud I could take a shower and be ready in thirty minutes - not any more!
I'll stop there for now and just repeat..Yay for driving!

1 comment:
YAY for driving and YAY for not having the nerve issues be so bad at night! I'm so happy for you about these two things, and so happy for you singing with Julia. : )
Post a Comment