Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Do Re Mi

Luke and I help out in the Kindergarten choir at church.  We mostly enjoy it (there always seems to be that ONE kid you almost have to sit on - this semester it is a child whose name is unusual but I remember it quite easily because it rhymes with "heathen") and it is a good way to give back to the church and have fun with kids that aren't ours.

The director, who is in the sanctuary choir with me, has had me playing the glockenspiel with them the last few weeks on some of their songs.  I am just alternating back and forth between two notes on the beat.  I think it is supposed to be helpful to the kids.  It is very simple.

The kids are singing in a church service on Sunday and to my horror I find I am to kneel in front of them with the glockenspiel playing my two notes while they sing.  I tried to decline but I could not get out of it.  My fellow choir members will get a nice view of me doing this and I am really hoping the cameras for the live stream on the internet will keep its lens trained on the kids and not me.

One small mercy though...when we were rehearsing in the sanctuary tonight and the director was busy with the kids the A/V guy came up to me and asked if I would need the glockenspiel to be mic'ed.  I said something to the extent of "please, no!".  Phew!

4 comments:

Will's Dad said...

HA HA HA HA! I'm going to have to find that live feed! Too funny! You see Susan this is what happens when you try to help people.

Vickie said...

Will the camera be filming you from the back? I would just want the A/V guy to keep the camera on my head and shoulders and not have it wander down south of that.

BTW, in my family the word "glockenspiel" is synonymous with the stuff you spit out when you have a lot of drainage. Apparently, years ago, my sister misheard my mother's instruction to "hawk and spit" as "glockenspiel." We had a book called "Gordon and his Glockenspiel" and had the most marvelous time thinking he was walking around clearing his sinuses in the parade.

Becky Smith said...

Hmmm. I can't say that I've ever played a glockenspiel before. (Actually, not only can I not play it; I can hardly spell it!)

I'm sure that it will be an inspiring, (possibly) humorous moment for all involved. :-)
Enjoy!

Becky

Susan said...

I hope it goes well. I can so picture me sitting in front of the group and worrying about a camera on my rear! AGH! What fun it sounds like it is, though!