Thursday, January 03, 2008

phone call

Last night at dinner we had a conversation with Julia about the school bus and how some parents don't put their kids on the bus. We talked about why she liked the bus and why we thought it was good that she take the bus.

So - today I got a phone call. I was at Target and it was 10:30 - almost 2 and a half hours since Luke put Julia on the bus this morning.

Secretary, "I was just wondering if you have Julia at home today"
Me "Uh - no - I put her on the bus this morning"
Secretary "Who is her teacher"
Me "Mrs. Teacher"
Secretary, " Let me go check"
Commence 120 seconds of scenarios in my head of Julia getting snatched after she got off the bus or otherwise wandering off and two+ hours have passed since this has happened
Secretary, "She's here - her teacher doesn't know why she got marked as absent"
Me "Ohhh Kayyy, that's good! - nervous laughter"

Didn't really need that scare today.

8 comments:

Tammy said...

OMG...my legs would still be shaking! Whew..what a scare! I just within the last week have allowed Brady to ride the bus for the first time!

JimII said...

My mom is a principal. Her first day back to school one year they lost a kid. Turns out the kid didn't get off the bus at his stop or got on the wrong bus or whatever and the busdriver didn't notice. Also, new, the busdriver didn't have his radio on or something.

She said mom & dad reacted with the expected level of terror.

Matt Dick said...

That had to have been 2 very long minutes.

ericadanya said...

Susan: Thank you SO much for your comment on my post today. It makes me so sad that you didn't have that kind of essential information for your little guy. Please know that if you ever have any questions, you can always email me privately: edgoldblatt@gmail.com. If you scroll through my blogs (there are many), you'll see a lot of thoughts on the whole end of life process.

Also, I LOVE the title of your blog. I am a singer too! It is absolutely perfect.

Be good to yourself,
Erica

Anonymous said...

Oh Susan! I know that scared feeling. Kole's first day of kind. the after school care called to see if we had picked Kole up rather than have him go to after school care. Nope, he didn't get off the bus when he was supposed to, and ended up riding around town until the bus driver was done with his rounds. Very scary for my dh and I.

When I was in school the secretary would call if we didn't come to school. The schools here don't call, which concerns me, because what if they weren't at school, but weren't with me. Scary!

Thinking of you always.

Jamie

OMH said...

After that experience if I were the "Secretary" I might double check each absence prior to calling!

I cannot even begin to imagine the Panic and Fear you felt. Glad it was only minutes before she called you back and not 1/2 an hour or more! I know it's very big brotherish but I would love to have one of the tracking devices they put on criminals in a watch/bracelet/shoestring whatever for each child where parents can log on and see exactly where there child is any time they want!

Jaime said...

Oh Susan, I'm glad everything was ok, I know that must have been terrifying!

The next to last day of school for Logan (my son with autism) I was waiting for the bus to bring him home. I waited...and waited...and waited. I started to panic at 15 minutes in and called the school.

He finally arrived home but 30 minutes late. There was a mix up with another child which caused the delay. It was awful!

Unknown said...

..........................................
so sorry about that scare