Thursday, January 04, 2007

Back to School

By request......

This is a picture of Nathan before he went out to catch the bus yesterday.

He took the bus and I met the bus at school. I was glad I did because the bus was late due to snow-packed streets from the recent blizzards and our city's practice of not plowing neighborhood streets.

I dropped him off at his classroom and the kids were happy to see him.

After a full day with no phone calls I met Nathan at the bus. He seemed a little tired but upbeat. I didn't get very many details of how his day went but we had a nice conversation after dinner about some parts of his day.

He was happy to head off to school again today so I guess all is well.

I had calls from the school nurse and school counselor this morning but they were just checking in and making sure Nathan's needs were being served. They both wanted to make sure that I knew he could get some extra tutoring if he needed. I explained that my goal for Nathan was that he enjoy school and not him keeping up academically unless he is upset about being behind.

I have had to convey to several school people over the last few days that our hope for Nathan is to keep him stable and keep him in school for as long as he is able. It has gone unspoken, but I think, understood that once Nathan cannot attend school anymore he will not be coming back but that I don't expect this to be anytime soon. I have been impressed that I have not had anyone get audibly upset by this and that we are on the same page of dealing with the now and making school the best experience for Nathan that it can be.

5 comments:

shadowfax said...

Hooray. Happy for you all that he is back at school an enjoying it!

Anonymous said...

I'm very glad to hear the other kids were happy to see Nathan and that he was excited to be back. I expect it will be great for him to spend time with kids his age.

As always, we're thinking of you and sending our love.

Beth

Kate said...

He looks so happy, Susan!

It is really good to hear that he has been well received, as well he should be!

xoxo from moi.

Anonymous said...

Look at that grin!!! That just warms my heart. You're doing the right thing just making sure he's having fun and happy. There will be plenty of time to catch up on that other stuff. Right now he deserves joy of being a kid.

xoxo

fivedreamin said...

YAH!!! I am with ~A~ look at that grin. I hope he is living it up wiht the kids at school.