Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Dilemma

So - I have been trying to not let this blog be dominted by Nathan's situation - but I guess the reality is that my life is dominated by it and so I have no choice.

School starts next Monday. Nathan will not be going. He will be getting a homebound tutor 5 hours a week. It is our intention that he go to school whenever he is able. It is unfortunate that he cannot at least start school with his class so he can feel a part of it.

Tomorrow night is an ice cream social and meet the teacher night. The first graders are meeting in the classroom and I assume will be oriented about full-day school. I think it would be good if I was there. I think it would also be good if Nathan could go.

Here is the dilemma. Let's say Nathan was physically able to go. He should probably wear a mask. He may not be able to walk well - I might have to push him in a stroller. My god - would it be more harmful for him to go meet his classmates in that state? He is looking like hell right now. For him that is not the usual bald and skinny it is also the deathly pale/grayish pallor. The kids will probably be freaked out by him.

It is likely he won't be up to going anyway so it will all be moot. I guess I will go...I hope I can keep from getting teary - it will be terribly depressing to be there without Nate. So - maybe I won't go at all. I would like to meet his teacer though....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would never try to imagine how tough this is for you. You guys have my respect and prayers. I know you certainly don't need my advice, but maybe leaving Nathan at home is the most practical, for the most important reason that you don't want him exposed to anything. If he were sick for any other reason besides the chemo you probably wouldn't take him - like a cold or flu, right? I hope you can go and meet his teacher, I think it goes back to a post either you or Luke had a few months back, about how "normal" of a life do you need to lead in this abnormal situation. The reality is Nathan is going into first grade and even if you don't go in person maybe at least call her or exchange an email. I'd recommend a link to your web sites for her, I share it with my family and friends. Know that a crazy family in Florida that you never "met" is thinking of you.
Sondra

Daelyn Fortney said...

Let us know what you decide to do. Thinking of you. Hugs! :-)

OMH said...

Actually, I'm not sure I would even go. After all kids move and transfer into a new school all the time. So when Nate is able he could be the "new boy" in class. Early elementary students usually welcome new kids with opened arms.

Still praying for Nate and you.

~A~ said...

Sounds like the class (and school) could use a good dose of Zink the Zebra.

http://www.zinkthezebra.org/

We do this program in Girl Scouts and it's fun and the kids "get it".

(((HUGS))) to you.