I can kind of shake my head about this now but during the week of the anniversary of Nathan's diagnosis when I was already a bit on edge, the middle school counselor called me. She called to tell me that Julia's teachers were worried about the number of times she falls down in school.
We already knew Julia was a bit clumsy but what the school was telling me was a different level of clumsy. They said she fell getting up, sitting down, and sometimes when she was just sitting at her desk. Sometimes multiple times a day.
We decided to just observe her for the next several days until her appointment the next week. We saw nothing.
So, the day before the appointment, after she had gotten through an important audition, I talked to her about it.
She was pretty mortified and described the different things that happen to her. Mostly, that she has size 10 feet, is 5'8" and gets tangled getting in and out of the desks and picnic tables she sits at. She also falls if she drops her pencil and tries to reach under her chair to get it. She sometimes trips up the stairs as well.
I took her to the doctor who did some small tests but agreed that she's just growing fast, and bigger than her peers. She's 99% for her height. If she stops growing she'll still be in the top 95% in height of all women.
I asked her to think a bit before she gets up. She does tend to be over-eager at times and I think she jumps up before her body is ready. Her school is an art-integrated school where they are very hands on and constantly getting up and about during class time.
I know, by now, I can't react regularly to medical things with my kids. So I guess I handled it all ok for me. I'm glad she is A OK.
5 comments:
So thankful she is OK. Hunter is like Julia 6ft, size 12 feet. Their bodies are just too big for them sometimes.
So thankful she is OK. Hunter is like Julia 6ft, size 12 feet. Their bodies are just too big for them sometimes.
The falling up stairs part is hereditary. Matt and the kids do it all the time.
The rest sounds just like one of Margot's best friends. She is 5' 10" and grew very fast in middle school. She was forever tripping over her own feet or stumbling into things. Her friend's favorite story is when she tripped over the painted line on the gym floor. Her growth has slowed down dramatically in the last year, and the rest of her is catching up again, She is much more coordinated than she was just a year and a half ago.
As an aside, Margot, who has topped out at 5' 3 1/4" (can't forget that 1/4"!), would love Julia to share a little of that height!
I'm so glad it sounds like it is just growth issues. That was really trippy timing.
So glad to hear she is okay and that you handled it well!
Post a Comment